Friday, June 15, 2007

Fredalo, Shredalo.

But looks like Indian cricket is not the only laughing stock of the world. Read this sequence of events.

Fredalo wrecked World Cup - Vaughan (June 5)
"I didn't captain as well as I should've done because of the pressure I put myself under. I'd admit that. But I couldn't switch off because away from the field there was so much going on - with Bob Woolmer and 'Fredalo'."
So basically, Vaughan is blaming England’s poor performance, his wretched form, and poor captaincy on Woolmer and Flintoff.

Cumbes (Chief Executive of Lancashire) says Vaughan's comments 'despicable' (June 5)

"I think it is completely out of order, I think it's despicable, I think it stinks against a guy (Flintoff) who has given blood for England these past three or four years," Cumbes said. "He was the talisman in the Ashes series in 2005...this fella has given blood for England and I think it is appalling he's been treated in this fashion."
Note that Flintoff has “given blood” for England. Use the same words (like blood, sweat, service etc) with Indian players and we talk about the fat paychecks they receive.


Vaughan claims he was misquoted over Flintoff (June 6)
"I never used the word 'Fredalo'," said Vaughan. "As soon as you mention that, you are pinpointing one person. I'll be having dinner with him in an hour's time. It [the article] has been blown out of all proportion. One word changed the whole context of the article, a word which I didn't say."
This I didn’t expect. Especially when the reporter was sitting in front of him with a recorder the size of his brain. Or maybe that’s the reason he didn’t see it.


And here is the clincher.
Paper defends itself over Vaughan 'misquotes' (June 7)
But the paper's recording of the interview between Vaughan and the journalist Donald McRae shows Vaughan did use the word "Fredalo" to describe Flintoff's capsizing of a pedalo after a night of drinking in St Lucia. After Vaughan said that incidents affected the morale of the team, McRae said: "Was it ... ?" Vaughan replied: "Fredalo. It's bound to affect team spirit." He is also heard to use the term a second time later in the conversation.
Surprisingly, the English media mentioned Vaughan’s suspect memory of his choice of words and moved on with their lives. No sting operations, no headlines, no chaos, no talk about factions within the team, no issues with seniors, no dressing room gossip, no mud slinging, no destroying reputations. What a bore.

No comments: